In 2016 I completed my undergraduate studies at The Australian National University (ANU) with Honours in Astronomy and Astrophysics. As part of the Honours requirements I performed an 8 month research project, and wrote a thesis detailing the experiment and its outcomes.
I worked on the project under the supervision of Dr Christoph Federrath. The goal of the experiment was to explore the nature of supernova-driven turbulence. This required the creation of a supernova module in FLASH, an Eulerian, grid-based, hydrodynamics code-base associated with the University of Chicago.
The supernova implementation utilises the Sedov solution to insert density, internal energy, and velocity profiles that are consistent with the current analytical models for the structure and propagation of supernova blast waves. More information on the details of the module, or the outcomes of the project can be found in my thesis.
I used the supernova module to explore the turbulence generated by supernovae. This was done by inserting supernovae at random positions within the simulation boundaries of a cube of gas, with some time-delay between consecutive events. The time-delay was chosen at random such that the average time between supernova events was 180 ± 72 kyr (corresponding to the supernova rate for a similar sized box in the Milky Way).
Below I have included two movies of the simulation. They are the density and temperature projections along the z-axis of the simulation box. They are both from a low resolution simulation (128^3 cells), and show the evolution of the projections over a period of 40 Myr.